06 October 2017

window tank...

Night before last I fed Perry his flakes topside, then slid a few sinking wafers in for the cories, after dark. Perry must have noticed after he got all the flake bits that the cories were feeding on something. I watched them closely, saw after a while he had located the wafer and was trying to carry it around. It was too big for him, but he must have gotten a large portion when it softened; in the morning his stomach was distended. I fasted him the next day.
The cories seem to be more reserved- I saw Perry jerking his fins open at them a few times yesterday (his re-grown feeler is almost full length now); I hope he is not going to attack them over food. Yesterday I caught a few mosquito wigglers outside- the puddle is not very productive anymore- I only found five. I was in a hurry and after rinsing just dumped them in the tank, not individual dips like usual. Perry missed them entirely and was watching the surface. I had to leave, but figured he'd locate a few. Cories came out to scout for them, too.

When I got back from errands, found Perry with a dark area dented on top of his head. I think he must have found a mosquito wiggler at surface, lunged for it just under the support bar and hit his head. He doesn't seem bothered by the injury; I will do a few extra wc to keep clean. I'd been using a piece cut from coathanger wire again, to support the lexan lid (it sags in center). This one was starting to rust through and I'm out of coat hangers... so the week before I sanded the rust off and coated it with plastidip.
Today his tank got an extra layer of substrate- I needed more on the short end to support crypt roots
and across the rest it's just slightly thicker.
I got some new plants in today, the java fern 'trident' was intended for this tank- it's got very tall fronds (I expect will grow out shorter)
one leaf had broken off I let that float anyway, to see if it sprouts baby plants. I've also moved in here the anubias congensis, from my other tank.
Top of the tank, pothos is doing better than sweet potato vine. I think the sweet po' doesn't like the chill off the window at night.
It's still kind of a scruffy tank, but I like it.

No comments: