28 September 2017

water lettuce

This plant supposedly doesn't do so well in indoor tanks. I've read reports that it doesn't like water dropping on the foliage. I watched once when I topped off the little pond from a tank wc- the water that fell on the leaves just rolled right down and dissipated thru the center of the plant. So I guess rain doesn't linger on the leaves to damage them, but maybe high condensation does?
I also noticed lately that the center of mine has three new crowns forming (unless they are flowers). I wonder if it is possible to divide the plant, or to strip off all the larger outer leaves, trim the roots and end up with a smaller plant to put in my tank? we are still having near-90 degree days, but night temps are dropping into the fifties, so I have to do something soon I guess if I'm going to overwinter it.

No comments: