06 September 2017

coleus here and there

I noticed that of all my coleus plants, the ones in pots on my deck are leggy, unhappy and leaves going pale. I think too much sun. I cut those back and moved them to a shady spot against a fence, at the end of the tithonia row where I can still see them and keep an eye on how they recover or not. Whereas the pink ones in reliable shade under trees in the sideyard are doing the best. They look great (and those in the front of the house that get more sun are just okay)
Next to it is the joe pye weed 'chocolate'- hasn't grown very large this year but it looks like it's doing well since the transplant.
The 'kiwi fern' coleus is looking awful at end of summer like usual- pale rusty appearance to most of the foliage (healthy stuff is the redder, purplish color). I think again it is from too much sun.
I moved one of these to sit between two mint pots, and the other to sit next to my large jade, both shadier corners of the deck.
The spearmint got moved to a sunnier spot and cut back severely- it looked all scraggly and awful.
Choc mints got a trim, too- but they are doing much better (which is great, because I like them!)
I kept a bunch of cuttings from the trim, to start new plants (probably they will be gifts). Love how the light shines through them in the windowsill.
And this plant doesn't really fit the post, but look how well my jade has grown out since its struggles with bugs earlier this year. If I can just transition it to go back inside for winter, without introducing pests to my houseplants again...

No comments: