19 August 2017

spawning!

I didn't get any photo because what I saw was so brief, and I haven't found the evidence yet: but my peppered cories spawned! The day after I added leaf litter to their tank (half a loquat leaf, one catappa, one guava and half a jackfruit). As in the other tanks, I don't see any difference visually in water hue, or pH with the test kit- but is the spawning so soon after just a coincidence? Hm. I'm tempted to add a few more leaves!

None of the cories came to the front corner for their breakfast- unusual. I watched the tank for a while. Three of them burst out of a thicket looking especially flirtatious, then I saw the 'T' formation between a pair. When the female was backlit for a moment I saw that she was carrying three eggs under her belly in the fins! The next moment she disappeared among the plants and when I saw her again, only one egg in the fins. Later in the day the fishes are calm, no eggs in the female's 'basket'. I don't see them stuck to plants or glass anywhere, but she's definitely stuck them somewhere safe. I am really happy they've found my tank so much to their liking, and wonder if I'll get any corydora fry?!

No comments: