22 August 2017

final trio

The other day when I went to the lfs, they had no serpae tetras. I did get three more amano shrimp for the main tank- my older ones are looking huge and someone at the fish club told me once they reach inch and a half in size, that's it, end of lifespan (about a year). These new shrimps are so little in comparison!

Today I had a chance to visit someone a few towns south of me who had lots of tanks- literally, two main rooms of his house they line the walls. It was awesome. He mostly breeds cichlids but had a community tank of various tetras- I got three to round out my school at ten. (He was only re-homing because his girlfriend wants more colorful fish in the tank.) All his fish looked in excellent condition, I have no fear of bringing disease home, but well, just for temporary observation have this new trio in my ten-gallon QT- for at least a week or two.

The new serpaes look great in there- cautious but relatively relaxed- no clamped fins or hiding. I have it draped for darkness today. Didn't notice this when I was helping the guy catch the fish- but one looks like it doesn't have the typical dark marking behind the gills. At first I thought it was different, very similar tetra species? But looking very close I can see the faintest mark in that area. I wonder when the fish is colored up will it be a pale gray smudge or still barely visible. I can't help it, I'm already thinking of that one as Baldy.

Side note- I did get three water lettuce plants from the lfs, for my little outdoor container pond. I like them. Quick photo (I didn't lift off the screening).

No comments: