15 August 2016

crazy flowers

This plant I had never grown before, all that time having its seed packet- has become a grand success. I can't believe how lush it looks. I'm planning to start a lot more of it next year and use it to fill in gaps in the landscape.
It does fantastic in the hot weather, and the odd fuzzy flowers get attention for sure. I've even seen one of our neighbors come back from her morning walk to take pictures of it. Here's my latest shots.
I like the flowers that form this broad base and make a kind of rough fan shape.
Others are a lot looser in form, kind of spiky.
It's all nuts!

Edit add: I have noticed bumblebees working their way over the broad, flat sides of these things. I'm glad to serve something to the bees- even exotic and foreign as these flowers look.

No comments: