29 July 2015

new ramshorn

I was disappointed (but should have expected it) when the third oto died. I don't want to get more that die, although the pair in the tenner are doing great. I thought I'd get another nerite, but couldn't find any live ones at the pet shop- all the pretty shells turned up empty. But then I saw a small brown snail crawling across a rock. It was a ramshorn. I asked for it and since the guy didn't know what it was "is that one of those pest snails?" he gave it to me free.
Funny, so many people have trouble with these snails- they get overrun and yet when I wanted more after Snaily Snail, none for me. That first ramshorn even laid eggs on the glass, but they didn't hatch. Well now I have another. So tiny. (If I get an explosion of snails I'll just bait them with carrot or zucchini and smash them to feed the barbs, ha).

No comments: