10 May 2014

six barbs

My Cherry Barbs, on the other hand, have been doing great. I added three more today- a male and two more females. Here the bags floating to equalize temperature (one has the Oto in it).
Two of the fish are smaller. They don't act nearly as skittish as the first three did when introduced; I think having others of their kind already in the tank helps them feel at ease. It's nice to see the six of them calming moving around in the back sheltered by plants, picking at things.
No sign of stress or disease, no fungus. They are not as shy anymore, come forward at feeding time. I do have to dip hand in and release flakes into the water, as they won't surface for it. I bought some sinking shrimp pellets to try feeding them. I tried giving them freeze-dried bloodworms but the things won't sink, and if I released them under the water, the dried worms floated up faster than I could move my hand out when the fish would approach. So the Zebra Danios ended up pigging out on those. Will have to find another method of delivery for that food, or find something else... Also gave an algae/spirulina wafer the other night- the Barbs recognized it as food and the largest, bright male was picking at it energetically, chasing the zebra fish away. He would allow the boldest cherry female next to him, but sometimes chase her off as well. But in the morning most of it was still there, disintegrated (and needing to be siphoned out). I think when it was all one piece they couldn't get bites off, and when it got soft they weren't interested anymore? Next time will break some up into small pieces, see if they eat that... but I'm glad they are actively eating.

No comments: