30 April 2014

the Otos

I think it was good I moved them out of the QT tank- it started cycling, has spiked Nitrites now. Better for them in here (home tank). But one didn't make it. This fish died last night, in spite of my treatment w/meds for fungus.
I have given the nicest-looking one a name: Tilda.
The third large Oto has part of lower tail fin short, although I hope it regrows. Not sure of a name for this guy yet. I was thinking of Buster, Wedge or Leo (various reasons)... Recently he has been looking frighteningly thin. Never really saw concave tummy on a oto before, but now I know what it looks like. They've done such a fantastic job cleaning algae off all the glass, even the plants- Anubias nearly clear of brown diatoms now. Maybe not enough algae on surfaces anymore. I've put a few algae rocks back in the tank (still cultivating those on windowsill, with frequent water changes) and gave zucchini slice last night. Third Oto looks better this morning. Not quite fat yet, but alarming hollowness of its stomach gone.
And here is Sparky seen from above, resting on an Anubias leaf.

No comments: