12 April 2014

aponogeton crispus

I have a new favorite plant. In my aquarium. All of a sudden I just want to sit all day looking into the underwater world, because this plant is so gorgeous.
It was one of an online purchase. I wondered how the plants would survive the two-day shipping but they seemed to do just fine. Came wrapped in damp paper in large plastic baggie then double-packaged.
I did have to trim off some dead foliage, but the plant once placed into the aquarium just looks stunning. The photo in no way does it justice.
The other two plants I bought are Bronze Cryptocoryne Wendtii (Cryptocoryne wendtii v. Tropica) which I like for the reddish coloring, and should do well in my conditions. The leaves have a nice blue-green gray color unlike all the others. Divided into a few smaller plants. It was a bit bent over when came out of the package, but straightened up more this morning.
Right now I am just staring at Aponogeton. It is quite tall for my tank, but I love the way it bends over on the surface (as long as the plant itself is ok with that and doesn't get leaf burn). It has lovely crinkled leaf margins and up close a delicate texture that reminds me of the lace plant I've seen in books, but this one doesn't have gaps.
I like it so much I want to pull out all the Vallisneria. Even though it is finally starting to get established and put out new bright green foliage, I don't love Val the way I suddenly love Aponogeton. I don't even really like it the way I do the Watersprite and Rotala, the Java Ferns and Anubias. But I have to wait and see how Aponogeton adjusts to living here- if it does well I think I'm going to remove the all the Val and put in a row of Aponogeton across the back. The long stems will have a similar screening effect, I think.

You can expect more pictures of this plant! None of these quite captures the effect, and I love the way it gently waves in the filter current. It has a green-brown hue different from the other plants in the tank.

No comments: