13 January 2014

new danios

Two newbies in my tank. I thought they would be fairly indistinguishable from the others, but one stands out. He's got a blue speck in the middle of a white stripe near the tail, and a white speck interrupting a blue stripe above the anal fin. Color variation or a missing scale, I can't quite tell.
But it's pretty easy to spot him. I call him Blip. The other new fish I can't tell apart.
The resident Danios were pretty excited about the newcomers. They were swimming close all around the bag while it floated to equalize temperature.
Once I let them out they darted all over the place. One fish was clamping fins for a while- but this morning they all look fine. Alert, good color. I fed them peas this morning (yesterday was their fast) and they all ate. But I think Zippy is stressed out by the newcomers. He's easily the smallest fish now and doesn't swim around in the upper water with the others, but weaves about through the plant stems on the bottom. I'm hoping once the others are done vying with each other and settle down a bit, Zippy might feel calmer too.

1 comment:

Jeane said...

Just a day later. Zippy swims in the upper area of the water now, doesn't seem so nervous. I call the other new fish Zee.