06 December 2013

hidden fishies

You might think that in a bowl that's just a over a gallon the fish have no place to hide, but usually when I try to take a photo of Pinkie and Flash together I get this over and over:
It's so hard to get them in one shot! Takes lots of patience.
(Part of their hiding is just from the curve of the glass bowl- sometimes you can't see them for the bend. Also, I took these photos a few weeks ago, when Pinkie didn't have his skull decor yet, and Flash still had medicated water. His scratch seems to be healing- it looks smaller now).

2 comments:

RedRose said...

I've noticed that you have Pothos Ivy in one of the fish's bowl; I've read/heard that pothos is poisonous... Please tell me how what you think and noticed from having ivy with the fish. Thank you... You have lovely pets and plants

Jeane said...

I have never seen any negative effects on the fish from keeping pothos cuttings in the bowl. If anything, I think there is benefit from the plant consuming nitrates and ammonia. (I do not expect the fish to feed off the plant- they get regular fish food). As far as I understand, the plant is poisonous if you eat the leaves, I don't think the roots leach poison into the water. I do think it is not the best way to keep the plant- eventually the roots start to decay (or get too long) and I had to regularly trim them. However, I have an arrowhead plant I have kept in a vase with aquarium wastewater for over a year now and it is doing fine.

Just so you realize, I don't keep bettas in bowls anymore. My betta now has a ten-gallon filtered, heated tank. With regularly water changes, light feeding and live plants to help keep the balance, this tiny system can work, but I don't think its the best life for a fish. My bettas were much more active (and got sick far less often) once I moved them into regular tanks.