21 May 2013

mimosa and hibiscus

These two plants I dug up as volunteers out of the old yard and brought along with me have been outside for a while now, to enjoy the spring sunshine. But I think I moved the Mimosa too soon. Quite a few of the delicate leaves have gone pale, dried up and dropped off (see foliage lower left). I'm afraid it was probably too cold for it. I saw its parent tree in the old neighborhood a few days ago and noticed it was just barely beginning to leaf out. So must remember next year, don't put the mimosa outside until well into May.
The Hibiscus also suffered a bit from going out early; some of its leaves got yellow spots but overall it is doing fine now. I have just moved this one up into a larger pot, as I wanted its white one for the aloe vera.
There were two more of each of these plants; one has died and the other is  still just a bare stem. So I think at least until they are much larger, these two will continue to come in during winters.

No comments: