18 February 2013

shuffling

Been moving a few plants around, again. The Cyclamen is starting to look very nice, has lots of bold new foliage but I keep hoping it will bloom. Looked up online and discovered it prefers indirect light; I've had it in a sunny window but now moved it to my office desk where the light filters through both the trees outside and the venetian blinds.
The rabbit-foot Fern keeps drying out, even as it is still growing new fronds. I suspect it simply doesn't have enough humidity even though I try and remember to mist it every day. I've put that one into the bathroom. Not sure if this is a good move as the room has no windows, so the only light is very dim coming in from other rooms, or overhead when someone uses the room and turns the light on... I'll keep a close eye on it.
It's still wearing that dryer sheet collar, which seems to have done the trick. The fly numbers have dropped considerably, even around the Pothos they were breeding on. I feel certain that after another week I can discard the dryer sheets and find the pests more or less gone.

2 comments:

chrisa511 said...

I remembered your dryer sheet trick last night when I discovered my OWN pothos has little gnats on it! I started finding them all over the place and wondering where they were coming from and when I went to water my plant last night, sure enough they were on the leaves!

Jeane said...

Yikes. At least they don't actually make the plant sick, but they're SOOO annoying. I hope you can get rid of them!