21 February 2013

jades

Yesterday I gave this lot of Crassula plants away as part of my little trade arrangement.
It hasn't left me bereft of Jade Plants, though! I still have the two pieces of the parent cuttings, which are starting to look like nice, stout little trees, just what I want:
And I also have five more baby plants grown from leaves and cuttings. No end of jades, here.
The one growing in a mix of potting soil and crushed eggshells is doing just as well as the others, by the way. So I think that's a viable choice for lightening soil.

3 comments:

chrisa511 said...

Oooh, they look awesome!! I have a couple of cuttings that look really good too :)

Howie said...

Hello! You seem to be very successful with jade propagation! I have recently become fascinated with these plants, and have been trying to grow from clippings.

Could you recommend a commercial brand name potting soil for jade plants? I have seen a lot of guidance about mixing potting soil with sand and/or vermiculite, but have not been able to find a recommendation on a brand name potting soil. I am very much of a beginner, and don't want to take any chances buying the wrong thing.

Thank you!

Jeane said...

Howie- good question. My favorite brands right now are Scott's All-Purpose potting soil, and Pro-Mix. I prefer potting soils which don't have plant food or moisture-retentive properties added in. For Jades I mix into my soil either fifty percent crushed (very dry) eggshells, or a third perlite. You could also try buying a cactus mix and mixing that half and half with regular potting soil, I've heard that works well but haven't tried it myself.