21 February 2012

more plants

Spent the evening potting up more seedlings, after the girls were in bed.

Four Bell Pepper plants, in recycled plastic containers. That front left one was a little ice-cream cup from a fast food place.
A handful of Nasturtiums
I am rather sad that I didn't end up with many of these from my second planting. But a few have sprouted later than others- this one just came up a few days ago- so I've left the tray atop the fridge in case a few more are coaxed out by the warmth.
The seedlings in the herb tray were crowded, starved and leggy. Most had grown twisty
but I untangled them and planted the straightest ones. For the Marjoram my index finger made a perfect hole to sink each seedling into. I have two plastic pots of these (as you can see, using recycled cottage-cheese containers)
and one of Summer Savory. These were smaller plants; I made holes with an old chopstick to sink each leggy stem into.
The savory and marjoram seedlings look almost exactly alike, but the marjoram leaves are a bit broader. As I handled the teensy plants noticed that Marjoram has a distinct, sharp scent. It reminds me of those scented fruity markers.

Also a bunch of quite pathetic-looking Dill. I hope these survive and perk up!
I also have four tiny baby Brussel Sprouts seedlings! but can't get a decent pic yet, they're so small. They look a lot like broccoli (of course) just itty bitty.

Now there just remains a bunch of Marigolds and Cosmos in their seedling trays. They seem to be doing okay, but I'll probably pot those up too very soon. Also a tiny tray of Chives and Oregano got knocked off the windowsill; I lost the chives but think I saved the oregano...

1 comment:

chrisa511 said...

Oh yay!! It all looks great :) Hope it continues to do well for you!