27 January 2012

seed packets!

I have a bunch of new seed packets, and I'm really tickled pink about it. First off, I've found my new favorite seed company, the Southern Exposure Seed Exchange. They're local, grow plants here in the mid-Atlantic region and ship them from right here in Virginia! They have lots of open-pollinated, organic and heirloom varieties. And their website is wonderful, it has all kinds of helpful garden instructions and growing tips, also tells you how to save seed for yourself! I went there just intending to buy more broccoli seed, but it was all too tempting. So now I have:
de Cicco Broccoli
Kentucky Wonder Beans
jewel mix Nasturtiums
Evergreen Hardy White Bunching Onions
French Marigolds
Summer Savory
Sweet Marjoram
and Long Island Mammoth Dill

I also got my seed-swap packet from Chris today! What deliciousness to open that up and spread out the assorted packets. This is what he sent me:
Italian Heirloom Tomatoes
Brandywine red Tomatoes
Cantaloupe
two kinds of Okra- burgundy and green
pie Pumpkins
Ancho Peppers
Sugar Baby Watermelon
B Contender Bush Beans
Wheat Grass
Borage
Paragon Rhubarb
purple-top Turnips
a winter squash mix that (from the picture) contains Butternut Squash and Acorn Squash- two of my favorites!

Wow. I certainly won't be able to plant all these this year, but aim to give them all a try by next year at least. Quite a few of these will be new for me. I've never really cared for turnips, but only eaten them a few ways, maybe growing them will inspire me to do something different. I've never liked okra either but the plants are so pretty (and the flowers gorgeous!) I wanted to grow them anyways. I never heard of anyone growing rhubarb from seed, but why not try? Borage is an herb that will attract pollinators to the garden, and the wheat grass I plan to grow for my cats.

I feel so rich!

2 comments:

chrisa511 said...

Yay this post made me so happy :D Glad everything arrived! And glad you found a local provider for seeds! Wish I had one!! Okra really is a beautiful plant! And I think you'll find a way to like it ;) There are so many ways to cook it! We just cooked our turnips with a pork roast in the oven this weekend and they were DELICIOUS!!

Jeane said...

Turnips and pork roast sounds fantastic.

I found two seed companies for you- Seeds for the South and Eden Brothers. One is in S Carolina and the other in Georgia. I think Seeds for the South would be your best option- they specifically grow plants to do well in the southeast region. Take a look!