29 January 2012

new dish

I've been trying to find new uses for my dried garden herbs, but admittedly my repertoire here is pretty scanty. I put oregano into eggs and sauteed mushrooms, and beef dishes. Thyme goes in a maple sauce for pork chops (yum). Parsley gets used liberally in spanish rice and chicken pie. The sage went in my thanksgiving stuffing, and that's it. I've found I really like rosemary bread with honey on it so I tried making an herb quick bread last week, but nobody else cared for it. I've made lavender scones (with the same reaction), but can't think of what else to put lavender in... Basil get sprinkled on pizza. And today I found a new use for it: poached salmon!
not (for once) my photo- credit here

I looked at a few recipes, then just came up with this dish by combining different elements of each (to use what I had on hand). It worked- and best of all, both my husband and kid loved it. Definitely something we'll make again. Thought I'd share if anyone else wants a simple way to make salmon delicious.

2 or 3 salmon cuts
1 Tablespoon butter
1 Tablespoon flour
1 cup milk
2 Tablespoons dried basil
salt and pepper

Melt the butter in a pan on the stovetop. Whisk in the flour and milk. Stir on med-low heat until the milk scalds. Lay the fish pieces in the pan, season with salt and pepper, sprinkle with the crushed basil. Simmer gently, spooning the sauce over the fish or turning it frequently, until it flakes easily with a fork. Done! Serve with lemon or lime juice, and pour remaining sauce over the fish.

I'm planning on growing dill this year, so will try that in this dish next time.

No comments: