10 October 2011

orchid

I have learned that my orchid is a Phalaenopsis, called the Phal or moth orchid. Pretty common, among orchids kept as houseplants, I gather. Also learned that to encourage it to flower again, supposed to cut down the flower stalk two-thirds after the flowers die. I might have waited too long to do this, but gave it a try anyways. The plant seems healthy enough, even though it shows no signs yet of flowering again. I think it's growing a new leaf!
At least, I don't remember that smaller, central leaf being there before. I'm glad of keeping this photo-record here, I was able to look back at the previous photos of my orchid and see that no, it didn't have that sixth leaf before! Now I've made a note of how tall it is compared to the flower stalk, to watch its growth.
My sister has a beautiful pink moth orchid. She says she gives it three ice cubes once a week, so since I can never remember how much to water mine, I'm trying to follow that too now.

No comments: