30 September 2011

myrtles

In the past two days I took advantage of a breeze (which meant I could take the baby out into the garden) and a long nap to do some digging. With the help of compost and grass mulch, a shovel and my own sweat I moved two Crepe Myrtles out of the raised bed. This little one which came with that packet from the Arbor foundation two years ago got moved to a spot next to the small patio, just off the corner of the house near fence in my backyard. I'm picturing how it will grace that corner when it grows up. Right now it barely clears the grass!
And this bigger one which grew from the root left in the ground last year, I dug again and moved to the other side of my steps down to the main patio, so now there's one on each side, of about the same size. I do hope it survives.
There's still a fat piece of root left in the strawberry bed; I tried to get it all but failed. So next year I'll have yet another crepe myrtle to move, unless I just pinch the growth off until the root dies.

No comments: