10 July 2011

tomatoes and tomatoes

One of my large Tomato plants isn't looking well. Lots of stems have yellowed and shriveled. Closer inspection, it seems to be the ones that are bending under the weight of fruit and breaking! I tried to prop and tie a few up.
The big fat tomatoes are finally starting to ripen, from pale green
through to beautiful red.
The Cherry Tomatoes are in full force, now. That bowl is leftovers from yesterday's pickings, and the pile in the foreground of the basket were all gathered this morning.
I made a pizza tonight with garden ingredients.
It was a fresh-made store-bought sausage pizza to which I added bought mushrooms, sliced garden Bell Pepper, cherry Tomatoes and fresh Basil.
I finally realized why my Basil plants are smaller than last year's, which grew high as my chest! My husband didn't bring a plant home from the store this year, which I usually stick in the garden when my own sown basil is just seedlings. I have about five basil plants out there, scattered throughout the plots. The one growing between the bolted lettuce and robust swiss chard has the largest, most beautiful and fragrant leaves. I wasn't planning on saving basil seed this year, as I have plenty from last year still, but I might just let this one plant flower and go to seed because it's so healthy-looking.

No comments: