06 October 2010

herbs

I've dug up some herbs from outside to bring in and protect from frost. I've done this the past few years; they usually last several months indoors before fading away, giving me fresh flavors halfway thru winter.

Potted up five Thyme plants; this one is the nicest. I think if I pinch off some top shoots with newer growth and stick in a new pot, it should start a new plant. Going to try that (as soon as I get more potting soil).
 I'm very happy with the Oregano. My plant is huge this year, twice as big as last year's! This isn't really a good picture and it's quite crammed into its pot I didn't have a bigger one but I know it won't last long like this the roots all crowded. I'm going to have to get another and give it space then I'll take a better pic too. But I just love the way oregano looks as a table centerpiece. The round leaves growing out in a whorl, it's just such a pretty plant. Last year's oregano plant is in a picture on the bottom of this post.
I also brought inside (a few weeks ago) a stump of Basil that was sprouting new leaves. I'm not sure how it will do. (I didn't manage to get an entire tall plant like last year and the year before). The lower leaves keep dying and falling off, but it is also growing new leaves on top, so perhaps it will be okay for a while.

No comments: