25 August 2010

mom's herbs

I always remembered Mom grew herbs under the backyard windows, but I never saw them so big before! She's had these plants for more than twenty years. Her sage
 and rosemary (on the left, it's smaller)
 are perennial shrubs, and she has so much parsley sprout every year it comes up through cracks in the pavement.
All three of these had seed heads on them when I was visiting, so I gathered quite a bit of seed to bring home, try and grow in my own garden. I doubt I can winter the plants over like Mom does (she's in zone 4 or 5, it doesn't get cold enough winters to kill them) but maybe I can get some more summer herbs out of it.

parsley
 sage
 rosemary

2 comments:

chrisa511 said...

Oh wow! She does quite well with her herbs!! And look at all of those seeds that you got :D So cool!

Jeane said...

It's funny; she says my dad doesn't like eating the rosemary, it's so strong it tastes like pine needles! but I'm hoping I can grow some next summer.