29 August 2010

cantaloupe end

My Cantaloupes are almost done. I've given away three, had to toss one that rotted on the vine- I couldn't pick them fast enough for eating! As is, we've probably eaten eight or ten; I haven't bought any fruit from the grocery store because every day we're eating tomatoes, cucumbers and cantaloupe out of the garden.

Today I pulled out all the vines that no longer had a fruit on the end, it was starting to look awful with all the dying leaves. Now there's just two left.
The vines look pretty sick from the cucumber beetles; I'm not sure if these will finish growing and ripen. And all the vines I pulled out had to be trashed, none to compost. I don't want to spread that wilt disease through my garden next year.

I am glad I planted Marigolds across the back of that side of the garden; it leaves something nice to look at when the plants have been taken out. Just wish I'd gotten enough plants to go the whole length of the beds, instead of just halfway.
Next these plots will be planted with Lettuce for fall...

1 comment:

chrisa511 said...

Look at you go Jeane :D Wow, you did great with the cantaloupe this year!! I wish I liked them...I'd definitely grow some...Just not a melon fan :/