24 July 2010

garden eatings!

My favorite way to eat Cherry Tomatoes from the garden (besides immediate snacks) is on a pizza. A plain cheese pizza gets layered with mushrooms and little Tomatoes sliced in half
then when it's almost done I put another layer of fresh Basil leaves and a sprinkle of shredded mozarella. Yum!
Finally got enough Green Beans picked to add to a meal, just lightly steamed and salted.
And picked my first Corn!
I thought it was ready because when I punctured a kernel with fingernail milky fluid came out. But the ears are all very small, even the full ones.
Most of them only half the kernels filled out
and one had this tiny embryonic cob growing on the side of it.
They all had a mild taste- good, but not sugary sweet like the ones from the grocery store. My daughter didn't like it because it wasn't sweet enough. I thought it was tasty but perhaps I need to let it grow more before picking the ears? and I guess my self-pollination didn't work too well, though. But hey, at least I got some corn!

4 comments:

chrisa511 said...

Oh wow! I think the corn is pretty cool :D I'm totally trying corn out next year. I love green beans that way. I'm drying out some seeds right now to plant next month when it's time for beans to go in the ground again!

Heather said...

Ooooo your pizza looks delicious! And I love fresh green beans. Yum! I picked my first corn yesterday. I haven't looked at it yet; I hope they came out okay. I left quite a bit because I was afraid they weren't quite ready yet. Chop up some basil for your corn; it's delicious!

Debi said...

Oh my gosh, everything looks so yummy!!! Do you have a lot more ears of corn left in your garden? I didn't realize corn could be so deceiving--they sure look ready! I'll have to remember that if we plant corn next year (which I really want to do). I think my favorite of all is your beans--they just so incredibly delicious!!!

Jeane said...

Chris- I bet corn will do great, where you have such warm weather.

Heather- How do you eat the basil with corn? I've never tried that.

Debi- I only picked about a fifth of what we have. Most of my stalks made two ears, but I'm guessing one will be smaller than the other, so they're all probably really weeny. I'm hoping if I let them grow longer, the ears will get bigger?