28 April 2010

potting

The Mango died. I really thought it was going to grow, as the part of the seed sticking just above the soil was slowly getting fat, and bright green. But then it suddenly shriveled and faded, before opening into leaves. So I dumped it out- a thin root had grown, that's all. I scrubbed the pot out and put an Avocado in it.

My sister said the avocado should be planted when the root is three inches. My second one here, its root is already four inches long.

I couldn't pull the toothpicks out so just gently broke them off, and carefully potted it in some loose soil with perlite added so it drains well (I don't want more rot!).

It's a six-inch pot, and the soil comes up to the same level the water used to, just covering half the avocado pit. Now I hope I can keep this one going!
I've given up on the biggest one; more mold is growing and the stem is beginning to turn brown.

No comments: