19 February 2010

wrong time

Stupid me. Why did I get so eager to start seedlings early? Today I finally figured out how to look up the last frost date for my area- it's somewhere between mid-april and may, safest estimate may 10th. So then I got out all my seed packets and actually read the directions. Sorted them by dates they can be planted, indoors or out, and made up a little chart so I don't forget. The earliest I can start growing seed inside isn't really for another two or three weeks, even for the lettuce. All those seedlings I have going now will probably die- being held indoors too long they'll get starved for light and space, put outside too early the frost will kill. O well. I'll nurture along the biggest ones just because I like to see things growing in my windowsill, and not get upset if the cat knocks over a tray (like happened yesterday to the Cauliflower, although the seedlings, picked up off floor and replanted, recovered nicely!)

No comments: