20 February 2010

twisted onions

I was so proud of these growing Onions, but then I noticed that while the one in my daughter's bedroom window was all straight and pretty, the ones in the living room window are twisted and curling. The smallest onion in a baby jar of water is still straight, too. So I worry they might have some disease. I don't know if that makes the greens bad to eat, and that's what I grew these for, so I'm probably going to have to throw them out. They got a little bit of reprieve, though, as A. thinks the curling leaves have an interesting appearance and wants me to keep them around for a while. Moved out of the windowsill, though, where space is premium.

They seemed to start so nicely, too! I wonder if the disease was in the soil? and if so, I hesitate to pot up that last smallest onion (in the front of the photo here) for fear it will get the same sickness. I did notice that the sick ones had been planted up to their necks, whereas the healthy one only a little of the base of the bulb covered with soil. Maybe that has something to do with it?

No comments: