15 May 2009

lettuce


Yesterday we ate our first harvest- Lettuce! I thought some Radishes would be ready, too- but the roots are just barely beginning to swell. The plants are getting fairly big and tall, much larger than I remember last years' (but that was a different variety). We ate in our salad mostly romaine leaves, with a little bit of simpson lettuce and some from one bibb lettuce that came up by itself. The romaine was a tad bitter, but perfect with carrot shreds and sesame ginger dressing.

The war with slugs continues. Got some in beer near the Peas today. Inspected the other long beds- it looks like the Peppers and Tomatoes are coming up; so far slugs don't seem to be coming at them but I'm not going to take any chances, and put cloches over them. The second set of Sunflor seedlings is almost ready to be uncovered, anyways. Found that the Cantelope seedlings are coming up- and eaten right down to the ground. Must be the slugs, so I'm going to cover those areas too (as well as I can remember where the seeds were planted!) and put out beer in that section tonight. I've been reading up more on slug control- a collar of drinking straw, or sandpaper, can keep them off the larger seedlings, and they don't like Fennel! So maybe if I cut some fennel and scatter that around the seedlings, they'll stay away.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That lettuce looks tasty! I'm getting hungry already.

I don't know if its available where you are based, but I have found nemaslug works brilliantly to control the slugs. It works for several weeks so it saves all that messing about every day with beer traps etc.