12 May 2009

planting

Weeding and planting today. Put in Marigolds all along edges where I could, found a spot to plant Pumpkins, replanted the Green Bean patch, and put in the remaining seeds of Delphiniums and last of Cabbage seeds leftover from last year. I don't know if they'll grow, being last years' seeds, but I remember those plants being very robust.

Isa and I waged war against the slugs; I turned over the boards laid across dividing sections of the walled bed (lettuces from chard from carrots from beets, etc) and scraped off/picked up all the pill bugs and slugs hiding underneath. Got dozens and dozens of pill bugs and at least ten small slugs and one larger fat one. Set out beer again hopefully to drown some more.

The Basil that had overwintered and I planted behind garlics? I thought it was dead but one of the stems is growing new leaves! And the Cilantro is coming up, and the Lettuces are almost large enough to eat the thinnings. Some plants are sprouting which I think are the Hot Peppers. The second planting of Sunflor seedlings are getting large under their little cloches, soon I'll uncover them and sprinkle crushed eggshells around like before.





















Photos top to bottom: Romaine lettuce among garlics, Romaine and Simpson lettuce, Pepper(?) seedlings, Cilantro seedlings, the tallest Potato plant.

No comments: